The Combat of Corruption and the Crucial Role of the Accountancy Profession
Dave van Moppes
The key-note address from Mr. Mark Thompson (Serious Fraud Office) is followed by two panel debates moderated by Ms. Brooke Masters (Financial Times) and Mr. Dave van Moppes (Tuerlinckx Law) and powered by the following professionals and regulators: (Professionals) IBR-IRE, IAB-IEC, BIBF-IPCF, IIA Belgium, IFA Belgium, ACFE Belgium, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Accountancy Europe, EGIAN, OLAF and Internal Audit Service of the European Commission; (Regulators) SFO, FSMA and CTR-CSR.
Transparency International Belgium invites the accountancy profession and its stakeholders to a symposium to answer four key questions regarding their crucial role in the fight against corruption. These questions will be addressed from a Belgian perspective in the light of international regulation and standards.
1. To what extent is the detection of corruption a responsibility of accountants and auditors?
Large corruption schemes always involve professionals from the accountancy sector: a finance professional sets-up the structure, an accountant drafts the accounts, a statutory auditor signs-off. Money laundering is the flipside of corruption. Are laws and standards in this respect clear? Where does the responsibility of accountants and auditors start?
2. How should accountants and auditors assess the risks related to offshore constructions
How do accountants and auditors assess the risks of corruption and fraud in relation to such constructions? Which techniques do they apply to detect illegal structures and money flows? What are the trends and how can accountants and auditors improve their processes?
3. How strong is governance, risk & compliance in the accountancy industry itself?
We must consider the risk management in the accountancy industry itself: tone from the top, risk awareness, fraud detection training, audit budget, professional independence, client acceptance, internal monitoring, professional quality and the role of the supervisory authorities. Will more governance, risk & compliance efforts within the accountancy industry lead to better results?
4. How effective are current reporting/whistleblowing systems?
If internal risk management and procedures fail to identify illegal structures and transactions, reporting/whistleblowing may be the only way to act. Are the current reporting/whistleblowing structures effective? What can we learn from OLAF, where the hotline is the main starting point of investigations?
08:30-09:00 Registration and coffee
Mr. Dominique Dussard, Transparency International Belgium (Chair)
09:05-09:30 Key-note address
Mr. Mark Thompson, Serious Fraud Office (COO)
09:30-11:00 Panel debate 1:
- Responsibility of accountants and auditors
- Governance, risk & compliance within the accountancy industry
Moderator: Mrs. Brooke Masters (Editor at The Financial Times)
On the panel:
1. IBR-IRE: Mr. Ludo Swolfs (Honorary Chair)
2. IIA Belgium: Mr. Erik Claes (Chair)
3. ACFE Belgium: Mrs. Sonny Luypaert (Chair)
4. CFI-CTIF : Mr. Philippe De Koster (Chair)
5. EGIAN: Mr. John Capper (Executive Director)
6. PwC Belgium: Mr. Yves Vandenplas (Managing Partner Audit & Assurance)
7. TI-UK: Mr. Peter van Veen (Director Business Integrity Program)
8. The Serious Fraud Office: Mr. Mark Thompson (COO)
11:30-13:00 Panel debate 2:
- Assessing the risk of offshore constructions
- Reporting and whistleblowing
Moderator: Mr. Dave van Moppes (Partner at Tuerlinckx Law)
On the panel:
1. IAB-IEC: Mr. Benoît Vanderstichelen (Chair)
2. BIBF-IPCF: Mr. Luc Vanhoutte (Board)
3. IFA Belgium: Mr. Rudy Hoskens (Vice Chair)
4. CTR-CSR: Mr. Hein Lannoy (Secretary General)
5. Accountancy Europe: Mr. Olivier Boutellis Taft (CEO)
6. OLAF: Beatriz Sans Redrado (Director)
7. Transparency International Belgium: Mr. Guido De Clercq (Executive Director)
8. Serious Fraud Office: Mr. Mark Thompson (COO)
13:00-13:05 Closing remarks
Mr. Evert-Jan Lammers, Day-Chair
13:05-14:00 Walking lunch
KBC Herman Teirlinckauditorium,
Havenlaan 2, rue du Port,
Inschrijven kan rechtstreeks via Transparency International.
Seminarie op maat
Wenst u meer info over een seminarie binnen uw organisatie?